Ready for change? There’s a solution that’s perfect for you
Tackle your shortcomings by taking corrective action.
Why the fuck can’t I change by Gabija Toleikyte
1/ Are you a procrastinator? Take action now!
Never manage to put your nose to the grindstone? You just need to take things step by step.
- Start off by … doing nothing! Take breaks to get your brain (your prefrontal cortex) ready for efficient action.
- Make a list of your daily/weekly jobs. Which chores can you group together? Which can you delegate? And which can you drop altogether? Keep only the jobs that are essential.
- Determine your procrastination profile so you can act effectively. If you’re a :
- Perfectionist procrastinator: Set yourself a finite amount of time to produce a first draft/lay the foundations of a project, even if it’s far from perfect. (You’ll come back to it during the next stage, when it can be fine-tuned.)
- Anxious procrastinator: Ask for support from your team, and/or a coach. Use stress reduction techniques (see below).
- Dreamy procrastinator: Review the progress of your tasks, with outside help, if possible, on a regular basis. And be realistic when estimating your abilities/performance.
- Rebellious procrastinator: Focus on the usefulness/purpose of the work assigned to you.
- Emergency procrastinator: Add sources of positive excitement to your life (such as sports) so you don’t artificially pump yourself up with the adrenaline rush of always leaving things to the last minute.
- People-pleaser procrastinator who doesn’t know how to say “no”: Find other ways to make connections with people. Prioritize your tasks.
© Copyright Business Digest - All rights reserved